Friday, May 7, 2010

Project 3

Reflection Essay

Composition II has taught me more than writing alone, it has shown me how to revise, research and expand my own thoughts in terms of writing a paper. Over the course, we covered revision and then later researched our career path. Our first assignment was to read seven articles based on the form of revision. After reading each article, my thoughts and perspective towards revision shifted dramatically. One article discussed how essential the relationship between the student and the teacher should be. As a teacher, you should try to give comments to the student’s paper that will help him write more effective. Each student is different, and their personalities are as well, so the teacher needs to adjust their way of teaching by adjusting to the student’s personality. Another insightful point is that each one of us sees revision on a different level. Some prefer to revise more than five times while others see revision as a waste of time and effort. The article, Revising Attitudes, conveyed the truth we as students have toward revision, and how they need to be adjusted. Inexperienced writers do not prefer to revise on the basis that they do not know how to revise correctly or they do not know strongly about what they are writing about. Others see revision as a “failure”. The article goes on to say, we need to rearrange our attitude, we need to see revision has a process in which one is perfecting their own paper.

Revising My Attitude Towards Revision

Revision, as I see it today is more important that correcting grammatical errors. Revision not only gives the reader a better comprehension on the topic, but it also lets the writer express his or her thoughts more vividly. After a long month going over revision, I was able to apply what I learned from the articles and discussions professor Phillips provided for us. She was very enthusiastic about each topic, which helped us alter our attitudes toward revision. I really appreciated how in depth we went into each topic. For example, when we were learning about revision, she made each group conduct a power point reviewing the main points of each article they were assigned to. This way of learning engraved us to not only read the material but analyze and go beyond the surface of the topic.

My Career Research

The research paper over our career choice opened more than my eyes to what I expect in the future. This assignment entailed of us researching our career plans, and what is currently growing in terms of best practices or popular jobs. This was highly beneficial because I was able to center on my career path. I also learned different areas that are rapidly growing that I was unaware before. An interview was also part of the assignment. I was so glad she added an interview as part of the assignment, because we as students need to see what our future holds in terms of someone that has already been there. I was able to interview a communications professor, which was extremely insightful because she informed me of the best practices and trends, and why she chose to pursue her education in Communication Studies. I also researched online containing information about my career plan. I was fortunate to find a large amount of information pertaining to my career; this in turn helped me evaluate any skeptical ideas I had before my research.

My Overall Reflection

With that said, I was able to grow a different attitude towards my writing critique and my thoughts for the future. As we enter college, most of students are undecided on our career option. The research and interviews helped ease a lot of that uncertainty. It also provided information I know will be beneficial in the future. I was also able to learn a different aspect of revision. I now see revision as making my artwork a masterpiece as one expert put it. This will bring a great addition to my knowledge and experience of writing. I found every sort of material we covered in this class valuable and clearly taught so as for us students to truly grasp the real meaning of writing. This is effect will not only benefit us all in the future but it will produce mature, knowledgeable writers.
3

No comments:

Post a Comment